Friday 28 October 2011

Boxing federation wants female boxers to wear skirts?

The Amateur Boxing Federation wants women to wear skirts in the ring.
Their reason: To make it easier to distinguish women from men.
My first thought is that it is ridiculous! Women are completely different build than men.
But then again, before pointing a fingers, I noticed the other three pointing back at me.
Aren't I also championing for changes in sporting dress codes? For hijab and covered legs and arms in sports?
It gives me some sense of perspective on what others may think of my purpose.
But if I had to choose from amongst a dress code that distinguishes women from men, a dresscode that made the sport more attractive to male spectators (like the badminton skirt code) and a dresscode that encourages and protects women's modesty: (whew!) I'd choose modesty. Anyday. It just has more substance.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please practice consideration and thoughtfulness while expressing your opinion. Strictly no spam!