Monday 16 May 2011

Importance of modesty

Modesty in Islam is a principle laid down in the Quran in Surat Nur.
Say to the believing men
That they should lower
Their gaze and guard
Their modesty: that will make
For greater purity for them:
And Allah is well acquainted
With all that they do.
And say to the believing women
That they should lower
Their gaze and guard
Their modesty: that they
Should not display their
Beauty and ornaments except
What (ordinarily) appear
Thereof; that they should
Draw their veils over
Their bosoms and not display
Their beauty except
To their husbands, their fathers,
Their Husband's fathers, their sons,
Their brothers or their brothers' sons,
Or their sisters' sons,
Or their women, or their slaves
Whom their right hands
Possess, or male attendants
Free of sexual desires.
Or small children who
Have no carnal knowledge of women;
And that they
Should not strike their feet
In order to draw attention
To their hidden ornaments.
And O ye Believers!
Turn ye all together
Towards Allaah in repentance that ye
may be successful.
(Al -Quran, ch.24:30-31)
And
In the Quran, Surah al-Ahzab ayah 59 (33:59) says:
O Prophet! Say to your wives and your daughters and the women of the faithful to draw their JALABIB close around them; that is better that they will be recognized and not annoyed. And God is ever Forgiving, Gentle.
Most Muslim women understand this to mean that they cover their hair, necks, ears, and bodies (soemtimes the feet) leaving only the face and hands exposed.
They do this with loose garments that do not reveal the shape of their bodies.
Up until recently this meant to me, that I wear at least midlength top with jeans. Long sleeved jacket or cardigan to cover my arms and I wrapped my hijab to cover my chest too.
But I have come across information that this is not proper hijab.
What constitutes proper hijab and Islamic dress?
The additional garment I am missing, in light of this new info, is an outergarment similar to abaya or the turkish Pardesu, which is a long coat-like garment worn over regular clothes.
I had asked scholars and those more knowledgable than me, about the requirement of an outergarment before, and their response was that as long as the clothes you wear are loose, long and cover the awrah it is not required.
Lately though, I find I'm drawn to the idea of an outergarment because I am tired of putting together westernised hijabified outfits that uses 4-5 peices of clothing. It's so much simpler to cover with an overgarment.
I can revert back to my pre-hijab days of tight jeans and slogan tee-shirts, and cover it all with a glamourous pardesu. Simple. easy. Fast.
It has gotten me thinking about applying this principle of outergarment to Islamic performance sportswear.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please practice consideration and thoughtfulness while expressing your opinion. Strictly no spam!